| Home | Be in touch! | Submitting A Sample | The JAQS* Book | Rating Our Work
| Read Our Ratings | HWA Books | HWA Guest Book | SelfAnalysis!
| Runes | Numerology! | Excerpts of Past Readings | Contact Us! | © 1994-2024 |

Terms Used in Evaluation of your Hand
Definitions yet in progress
Illustrations to follow soon...
We usually measure the Size of handwriting based on the height of a typical lower-cased letter somewhere in the hand, like an 'e' or 'a'. Check out its height and that will be our measuring stick. We'll refer to this as "Standard Height."

The Baseline is what would be the line on your page you're writing on. We specifically request for most samples that you use UN-LINED paper, because we like to watch what happens to the writing as pertains to this baseline.

Slope usually refers to the movement of the handwriting along an imaginary BaseLine... does it wander up or down as it goes along, or does it pretty much hang in there flat?

Slant refers to the position of the characters from side to side... Do they tend to lean to the LEFT or to the RIGHT?

There are typically three Zones in handwriting: The Middle Zone, the Upper Zone, and the Lower Zone. See each below for more info.

MidZone: (MZ)
The Middle Zone is usually the beginning point for most HW considerations: It's where most things take place in general, where they tend to start and where they tend to end.

UpperZone: (UZ)
The Upper Zone is that area where letters and characters reach up toward the upper part of the page, such as in the top of capitals, or where letters like a small h then to reach into. (The small h, actually supposedly doesn't reach to the top of the UZ, but still it's upper...)

LowerZone: (LZ)
The Lower Zone is that area where letters and characters reach down toward the bottom edge of the page, such as in the small cursive letters p, z, and y.

Printing vs. Writing
Cursive (Writing)
Cursive is the flowing kind of writing which people often refer to as "handwriting" or "not printing."

Manuscript (Printing)
Manuscript is the kind of writing which people often refer to as "printed letters" or "printing."

Handedness refers to which hand you typically prefer to write with. Typically, you are either Left-Handed or Right-Handed, although some people are Ambidextrous, which means that they can pretty much equally use either hand.

Roundess / Sharpness
All handwriting will have both Rounded and Sharp characters in them, simply by virtue of the shape of letters. But if you take a general overview of the hand, you should see that the hand FEELS either more Sharp, or more Round... more pointed or more smoothe. Which is it? Take a look at what would 'normally' be more rounded letters / digits: c, e, n, o, p, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc. Are the "soft edges" more round or more sharp?
      And take a look at what would 'normally' be sharper points: A, K, N, Y, Z, 4, 7 ..., etc. Are the "sharper points" of these charactres actually sharp, or are they more rounded?
      In general with the hand, then, which stroke stands out more? Rounded or Sharp? One or the other should stand out.

This page and these materials all
© 2024 - All Rights Reserved by
Lifelong Learning Excellence, Inc.
and HWA.ORG: Handwriting Analysts of the Web.